What you’ll need:
100g Talgarth Mill wholemeal self-raising flour
125g white self-raising flour
75g caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
75g mixed fruit
You will need a heavy frying pan with a solid base
- Sift the dry ingredients, and rub in the butter.
- When the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs add the fruit and mix thoroughly before beating the egg and adding it to the mixture.
- Mix to a dough, and if it seems too dry, add a little milk. It should be soft but not sticky.
- Roll out on a lightly floured work surface, to approximately 5mm thick. Using a 6.5cm cutter cut into rounds, re-rolling the trimmings to use all the dough.
- Lightly grease the frying pan and put it onto a medium heat.
- Cook the Welsh cakes in batches for approximately 3 minutes per side.
- They should be fairly brown and crisp on the outside.
- Serve dusted with caster sugar, preferably warm.