You will need:
- 2kg pumpkin
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 medium carrots - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 600ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Crème fraîche or double cream
- Cooked in a Woodee fire pit
- A dutch oven
- Rub the pumpkin with oil and wrap in tin foil, place this into the embers of the fire pit and roast for an hour or so, or until tender and soft to touch.
- Remove from the fire and take out of the foil, cut the pumpkin in half, remove and discard the seeds and then scrape the flesh from the skin and put into a bowl.
- In a large heavy-based saucepan or the Dutch oven, place into the centre of the fire pit, or on the grill, add a little oil and when hot add the chopped onions and carrots, fry for 5-10 minutes to soften, add the garlic and smoked paprika and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped up pumpkin flesh, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, stock cube and finally enough water to cover, and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the carrots are soft.
- If the soup is too thick add more water.
- Serve in a bowl with a good dollop of crème fraîche or double cream.